1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 Tblsp. sugar
1 Tblsp. active dry OR bread machine yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 1/2 cups flour
In a large bowl (of a mixer, if you have one), combine water, sugar and yeast. Let stand 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly. Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and humidity), until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger. Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough (formed into a large ball) inside. Cover and allow to rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. *I've had to make this ahead of time long before I have to bake these breadsticks, so I just put the bowl in the fridge. Remove from dough and place on a lightly-floured surface. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray OR line with parchment paper. Roll into a rectangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter. * Time-out here for just a minute. Instead of placing on a floured surface, I just grease my glass cutting board really well, roll the dough out on this, & then cut it into strips. For me it's a lot easier. Now back to where I left off. Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and then drape it over your forefinger and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Try to space them evenly, but it's okay if they're too close. Cover pan with a clean dish towel and allow dough to rise another 30 minutes. When there's about 15 minutes to go, heat oven to 425 degrees. When done rising, bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Rub some butter on top of the breadsticks and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and/or garlic salt, if desired.
I've made these 3 times at my house now and we all LOVE them! They're great with soups & spaghetti dinners especially. Tyler told me that I should keep this recipe for sure. Thank you Our Best Bites! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment