This is seriously, the BEST pecan pie I've ever tried in my life. I've always loved it ever since I can remember, but the only time I get to make it is for Thanksgiving, since Tyler refuses to eat it because he hates pecans. Of course, the one nut that I love, he hates. Oh well; at least I was able to make it & have people to help me eat it all. :) My Grandma was the one who gave me this recipe. She got it from her landlady while she was serving her first mission back in the late 40's in Kentucky. Those Southern women really take pride in their good ol' pecan pie, so this is fine quality pie, folks! :)
Crust
2 cups flour
1 cup shortening
3/4 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. sugar
1/2 cup water
Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl & then cut with pastry blender to about the size of peas. Then add water and mix dough with hands. Divide dough and roll out on a paper towel to pie dish size needed for your pie dishes. Makes 2 8-inch pie crusts. For filling in pie consult filling cooking time. For pie crust to be baked without filling, bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. This crust works great for any pie you'd like to bake. I use this recipe all the time for all my pies.
Pecan Pie
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tblsp. evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1/2 cup Karo Syrup (light or dark can be used but I always use light)
3 eggs
pinch salt
2 Tblsp. butter
3/4 cup pecans (or a little more, if desired; I used a full cup for mine)
Beat eggs; cream butter & sugar. Mix all but pecans really well. Add pecans last & mix. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Pie is done when the middle is jello-like, when removed from oven. Makes 1 pie. I'm still not an expert when it comes to this pie, but it's best to just keep checking on it throughout the cooking time so that it doesn't burn on the top. Enjoy! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment