Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Red Velvet Cake Balls

I found this recipe while browsing on Mel's Kitchen Cafe recipe blog.  My finished product didn't look half as pretty as the ones on this blog did, and my camera isn't the greatest, but at least I have my own picture to make a digi-scrap recipe card with without infringing on copyright laws.  :)  These are oh-so-yummy!  In fact I think they may be just a wee bit too good, because after taking them with me to Young Women's last night, one of the other leaders asked me what they were, & when I told her she said, "Oh Julia, you are the devil!"  I don't know about that, but I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for wrecking anyone else's diet.  Then again I have to cook for somebody.  I love to bake so much, but I certainly can't eat all of this yummy goodness myself, so I have no choice but to give it all away.  ;)

1 box Red Velvet cake mix
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate bark (regular or white chocolate), OR chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli - they're by far the best chocolate chips I've ever tasted, & believe me, I've tried 'em all!)
wax paper

Prepare and bake cake according to the directions on the box.  Bake in a 9x13 pan; let cool completely.  After cake is cooled, crumble into a large bowl.  Mix thoroughly with all of the frosting.  If you need to, use your hands to mix, but be warned, it will get extremely messy.  I used a spoon & that worked just fine too.  Roll mixture into quarter-sized balls & place on a cookie sheet or tray covered with wax paper.  Chill for several hours - make sure they are really firm (you can speed this up by putting them into the freezer).  Melt chocolate in microwave according to directions on package.  * If using chocolate chips, just melt down in a saucepan on the stove, and don't forget to add a bit of shortening to the mixture.  If you don't, your chocolate will harden too quickly & trust me, you don't want this to happen.  Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm (you can use a spoon to dip & then tap off extra chocolate; 2 forks works great, too, if your chocolate is warm enough).  Drizzle with extra chocolate bark on top.  Like Oreo Truffles, these taste best cold, too.

No comments: