I realize that this has nothing to do with food, but this subject has been weighing a great deal on my mind lately. Yesterday while I was on Pinterest I saw a pin about how you can show support and love to new moms. After skimming through the article, I couldn't help feeling like infertile women are way too often forgotten about with the struggles that they have no choice but to endure. I've been blessed with 2 beautiful children, but I've seen WAY too many negative pregnancy test results in the past 5 1/2 years, so my heart just aches for women who have any kind of difficulty getting pregnant. It's one of the hardest things any woman will have to go through. Ever. Before I start,
please let me clarify that even though these comments have actually been made
to me directly by others (even by family members), this post is not written to purposely offend anyone
who may actually say these things out loud.
If you choose to comment please do so respectfully and kindly, and PLEASE no debating back and forth. Any negative, offensive or inappropriate
comments will be deleted immediately.
Thanks for bearing with me.
First, here are 9 things that you should NEVER say to a woman who's struggling with fertility:
1. “My
Husband and I Just LOOK at each other
and we get pregnant!” This is just
wrong on so many levels. You should
never compare your blessing of fertility to someone else’s trial of
infertility. This puts me and others
like me in a very awkward situation. Not
only do we not know how on earth to respond to this statement, but it makes our
struggles that much harder.
2.
“Just relax and then you’ll get pregnant”, or, “You
should give away all of your baby stuff, then you watch, it’ll happen!”
There’s no way on earth that anyone can predict the future, so comments like these
need to be avoided at all costs.
Infertility is very real and difficult enough as it is. It’s like telling a cancer patient, “Just
relax and you’ll be free of the cancer”.
3.
“Why don’t you just adopt?” There are no words in the English language to
describe how much I HATE it when people ask this question, especially since it
only seems to come from fertile couples who have no problems whatsoever getting
pregnant. They have NO IDEA what goes
into adoption; the financial costs, the paperwork, the heartache, the
disappointments, the waiting, the emotional toll and more waiting is enough to
make most couples not have the capacity to even attempt it. I’ve personally never been through this
process, but a very close friend of mine has, and it’s not like going to a baby
store, selecting a baby and then walking out with your “purchase”. It’s never anyone else’s place to suggest
anything like this. Wait for them to
tell you if this is the direction they’ve decided to go. Otherwise, it’s best not to ask or suggest at
all.
4.
“Well, so-and-so doesn’t have any kids”.
I’ve been told
this I don’t know how many times, and I really wish people would just stop. It’s just not comforting. The last thing infertile couples want to have
to face before their time is that they may never have children. Don’t compare their struggles to anyone
else’s, because everyone suffers and copes differently.
5.
“I’m SO SICK of being pregnant!” or “I’m SO SICK of all these kids!” You
wouldn't go up to a blind person and say how sick you are of wearing glasses or
contacts, anymore than you would go up to someone who just suffered the death
of a loved one by complaining about your own family. It’s the exact same thing with infertility. Avoid complaining about your pregnancy and children
like the plague whenever you’re around a woman like me who’d give anything to
be in your shoes. We’d gladly take it
ALL on; the backaches, the lack of sleep, the weight gain, the tiredness, the noise, and
YES, EVEN ALL of the morning sickness and nausea, if it meant being able to
welcome a brand new baby into our homes and into our lives. Keep in mind that the very things you’re
complaining about, are the blessings that women like me are praying so hard
for.
6.
“I understand. It took us 5
months to get pregnant”. This may come as a shock, but you do NOT
understand. Five months is the blink of an
eye compared to 5 years or more. Please
don’t ever compare yourself and your situation to anyone else’s, because no one
will win.
7.
“Well, at least you have one boy and one girl.”
This is the comment that probably hurts me most of all. I know that others mean well when they say
it. But then when someone turns right around to me and complains about having another girl or
another boy, when all they really wanted was the opposite gender, they
have no place making this kind of comment to me or to anyone else. Just
because I’ve been blessed with one son and one daughter, does not mean that I’m
ungrateful, or have forgotten to count my blessings. My husband and I desire more children because
both of us have always wanted a bigger family, and it wouldn't matter to us if they were boys or girls.
8.
“Have you tried (insert advice or treatment option here).” This
comment is just too personal, even for your own mother to ask. How a person has children, or what paths they
take to get them here, is no one else’s business. Some options are just too expensive or too
hard on a woman’s body. Not to beat a dead horse, but once again, this type of
comment only seems to come the most often from women who have never been forced to make a
decision like this. It’s never anyone
else’s place to act the part of a fertility specialist. Just because it worked for your friend’s
cousin’s stepdaughter doesn’t mean that it’s right for everyone else.
9.
“You can take my kids whenever you want”. This
one’s pretty self-explanatory, but I must say that an infertile woman wants to
be a parent, not a free babysitter. This
doesn’t help soften the blow, it only makes it worse.
10. "We did everything we could to not get pregnant again but it still happened!" No matter how frustrated, stressed or upset you may become if you're forced to deal with an unplanned pregnancy, do NOT, under any circumstances, voice these feelings aloud to a woman who has trouble conceiving. It only rubs salt in the wound.
11. "Maybe you're just not meant to be a mother/parents". Who on EARTH thinks this is OK to say to an infertile couple???!! Who has the right to be the judge of this? Does mean that the druggie couple on the other side of town is meant to have a family? Or what about all of the child abusers or neglected children who are sent to irresponsible, unloving parents throughout the world who don't even care??! To me this comment is just plain heartless.
10. "We did everything we could to not get pregnant again but it still happened!" No matter how frustrated, stressed or upset you may become if you're forced to deal with an unplanned pregnancy, do NOT, under any circumstances, voice these feelings aloud to a woman who has trouble conceiving. It only rubs salt in the wound.
11. "Maybe you're just not meant to be a mother/parents". Who on EARTH thinks this is OK to say to an infertile couple???!! Who has the right to be the judge of this? Does mean that the druggie couple on the other side of town is meant to have a family? Or what about all of the child abusers or neglected children who are sent to irresponsible, unloving parents throughout the world who don't even care??! To me this comment is just plain heartless.
Now that I’ve gone on so much about what not to say, here are some tips that will help you know what to say and do if you know someone who’s having struggles with fertility.
1. Give her a break if she doesn’t jump for joy
when you announce that you’re pregnant, whether it's your first baby or your 6th.
This subject is extremely painful for infertile women. She’s forced to be around expectant moms
wherever she goes; she can’t even shop for groceries without running into them
at every turn! Let her know that when you
do make your announcement, try to be more empathetic by telling her she can
respond to it in any way that she chooses, even if she decides to shed a few
tears. Your understanding can mean the
world to her, and that way no one gets hurt.
2. Don’t be the least bit offended if she
declines invitations to baby showers, whether they be for you or for someone else.
There are few things more painful for infertile women than being forced
to watch someone else who is pregnant, open up presents with adorable baby
clothes and toys inside of them when she’s never had this opportunity to do it for herself. Invite her to let her know that her presence is still important to you, but remember that if she does say no, it's nothing personal. It's the same thing with birth announcements. Try to put yourself in her shoes.
3. Remember her on Mother’s Day. This one is SO important! Every year when this day comes, it's almost unbearable to a woman
who’s never had the opportunity to be a mother. Send her a card, a thoughtful
text message, email, Facebook message or some other note to let her know that
you’re thinking of her and that you love her.
4. If you’re struggling with your pregnancy
and/or your kids and just need some time to vent, save it for the times when
you’re around others who are in your current situation and when she’s not
around to hear. That way her feelings won't be hurt and it won’t be
awkward or upsetting for anyone involved.
5. Have girl’s nights and other get-togethers
where she can feel included. Try as much
as possible to not keep the conversation on your children the entire night. There are other subjects to discuss and enjoy
besides parenting and kids.
6. If she decides to put a halt to all treatments or chooses not to adopt, don't push these issues. Most likely, these decisions inevitably bring on a great deal of pain, frustration and a deep sense of loss, so be supportive, not judgmental.
7. Love her.
We all need love, companionship and just plain human kindness. Try as much as possible to show empathy
towards her. You may not know exactly
how she feels, but the fact that you at least try to understand will make her
infinitely grateful to you, and she will never forget you for the love and acceptance that you
give to her.6. If she decides to put a halt to all treatments or chooses not to adopt, don't push these issues. Most likely, these decisions inevitably bring on a great deal of pain, frustration and a deep sense of loss, so be supportive, not judgmental.
(Sources: Babble.com, Bandbacktogether.com, Yahoo)

3 comments:
Oh, Julia, as someone else who's struggled with fertility (and not just for five measly months...!), I so understand where you're coming from. People with wonderful intentions can be so hurtful, and I often feel like I have to explain why we're in our mid-30's and have only two children five years apart. This is a great list. I just have two things to say:
1. You may totally disagree with this, and I understand that your opinion is just as valid as mine. It took me a long time to have this epiphany. As I've talked to my friends and mission companions whose problem is the opposite of mine, I've come to understand that excessive fertility may be just as much of a trial as infertility. I admit this seems absolutely insane to those of us who long for even just *one* more successful pregnancy, and of course there will be a time when our super-fertile counterparts will most likely say that they "wouldn't have it any other way," but I think that during these years that are the window of possibility for all of us, both having one more when you're stretched to your very limit or not having one (or some) more when you want nothing else can be equally challenging.
2. I actually think a lot of people just are totally unaware of what it takes for others to have kids, so I have no problems whatever talking about our exploits, tests, drugs, roadblocks, and so on (within taste and reason). I want people to know what a blessing both of our kids are to us, and I feel like they'll be able to be more sensitive to our situation if they're more aware of the emotions and roller coasters involved. Of course, I'm not saying I talk about it all the time, but if I'm thinking about it, I'm going to talk about it. This is different from acquaintances just asking too-personal questions. Maybe I'd just add "listen" to your list. :)
Thanks for being brave enough to bring this up. I think you're an awesome mom and your sweet kids are lucky to have you!
I can't help thinking of the phrase, "charity never faileth". No wonder Our Heavenly Father has commanded us to love one another. If we really, truly love each other, we will always try to think of the person we're talking to and not so much about ourselves. How much heartache (and not just for women with fertility problems) could be avoided if we could all work a little harder on our expressions of charity!
Not to worry Melissa, I actually agree with you. :) Having children almost every year can be a very difficult trial. I don't speak from experience, of course, but I still see where you're coming from. I also never even thought to put down "listen". It's a really good point, I just tend to discover that as I get older, I realize how much more forgetful I can be. Thank you for your kind words, Melissa, you're amazing and I think the world of you!!
Post a Comment