(Sorry, I know this picture's terrible). I got this idea from my sister. The last Christmas before Tyler & I were married, she gave me a book similar to this one with all of her favorite recipes in it, which I still have, by the way. I decided to make my own personalized book with the names of the dinner and/or recipe, along with a list of all the ingredients needed to make each meal. This makes writing my grocery lists a lot easier. I also have a Breakfast list (Tyler loves hot breakfasts & I try to make them for him whenever I can on Saturday mornings & on his days off), a Salad & Sides list and a Desserts list. These lists are both handy to have for when I need to help with meals in the ward or when I've signed up to bring them for other ward functions.
With this trusty book in hand, I'm ready to write down my weekly grocery shopping list. If I have a little extra time I also grab all of my cookbooks & flip through them to see if there are any new recipes that I'd like to try. My most favorite thing to do if I have the time is to flip through pages of recipes that I've printed off of recipe blogs & cooking websites:
See how I've crossed off the top recipe? These types of recipes are great to print off, because then if we try one that we don't like, I just cross it off & move on to the next one. Then on the flip side, if we find one we do like, it makes it's way into my Dinner list. Anyway, once I've planned all of the meals for the week, I write them down on this handy little magnetic notepad & stick it back on my fridge:
Eventually I'd LOVE to do something like this for my kitchen, but I won't be assigning each meal to a certain day of the week. I tried doing that once, & then I ended up getting frustrated with the idea because I wouldn't have meat thawed in time, or something else would come up & I either wouldn't have to cook, or we'd end up going out to eat at the last minute (this, of course, doesn't happen all the time, but you get the idea). This way it reminds me of all possible meals I'm able to make because it's always based on the types of groceries I have in the house for that week.
On the weeks when Tyler & I don't have much money left until payday (I'm sure you all know exactly what this feels like), I just go to my pantry, cupboards, fridge & freezer & take a little "food inventory", if you will. :)
I always keep chicken broth, canned chili, cream of chicken soup (why oh WHY does Costco not sell this?!?!) and canned chicken on hand in my pantry because I use them all the time in my cooking. Rice tastes even more yummy when you cook it w/ chicken broth instead of just plain water, we eat chili all the time because it's cheap, it's satisfying & both of our kids like it (with cornbread especially; yummmm!), and I use at least 2-3 cans of cream of chicken per week.
Whenever there are big sales on pastas, spaghetti & alfredo sauces I always try to stock up as much as I can so that I can have these ingredients on hand when things get a little bit tight throughout the month.
I didn't dare post pics of my freezer or fridge because neither of them are super clean right now, but I do try to get a good look of what I have in them before I do my shopping so that nothing goes to waste & so that I don't end up buying extra food that I don't really need. I try to buy ground beef, chicken & pork whenever we can afford them, & I always buy them in bulk so that I can keep them in the freezer & have them ready to use whenever I can't buy them at the store during certain times of the month.
Well, that pretty much covers my "system". Like this posts says, it works for me. :) I'd love to hear any of your ideas and/or plans on how you keep your kitchen running smoothly!
No comments:
Post a Comment