Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hawaiian Haystacks

Sauce:
1/4 cup poultry gravy
1 1/4 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tblsp. soy sauce; the first time I tried this it was way too salty for my taste, so next time I'll only use 1
4 Tblsp. cornstarch
chicken

Topping Choices:
shredded cheese of choice
pineapple
chow mein noodles
slivered almonds
celery
coconut
mandarin oranges
tomatoes
broccoli
other toppings of choice

Mix first two ingredients over low-medium heat.  Add next three. Then slowly stir in cornstarch.  *If your cornstarch looks too lumpy & looks like it isn't mixing in very well, don't panic like I did.  If you keep stirring, it will all work out.  :)  After you've added the cornstarch, turn up the heat and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat back down and simmer for a few minutes & then it'll be ready to serve.  * The sauce will be really watery until it boils & until the cornstarch kicks in, so again, don't freak out the way I did.  :)  I added the chicken right in with the sauce, but this is entirely optional.  Serve over rice & then assemble your haystack to your liking.  

I found this recipe on a blog called My Girl's Kitchen.  One of the best things about this dinner is that it has the potential of being an entire, food storage-based meal if you use canned chicken.  After having this sauce I don't think I can ever go back to using just plain cream of chicken soup again.  My whole family loved this & it both my kids LOVED putting their very own haystacks together.  :)

2 comments:

Elena said...

I am so jealous. This is one of the forbidden meals by Mark. I can only have it once a year or for lunch, and I can never justify going to that much work for me at lunch time! Looks delicious though.

Tyler and Julia said...

Aw shucks, that's too bad. :( I know Mark's not a very big gravy/sauce fan but since this is mostly a food storage meal, he may not mind trying it some day when you have to use your food storage. We end up using ours a LOT during certain months, since we only get paid once a month.