Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Beef & Carrot Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup minced onion
garlic salt to taste
8 oz. tomato sauce
8 oz. noodles of choice, cooked & drained
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parsley flakes
1 cup cooked & sliced carrots
desired amount of shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef with minced onion & garlic salt.  Add tomato sauce to beef mixture & pour into greased baking dish - I always use a large, glass Pyrex bowl.  In a separate bowl mix together sour cream, cottage cheese, carrots & parsley.  Place drained noodles on top of the beef & tomato sauce mixture, then place the cottage cheese mixture on top of that.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then remove from oven, top with cheese & bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I got this recipe from a cookbook that was given to me as a bridal shower gift from Tyler's Grandma Andersen.  It was one of the best cookbooks I've ever had, because a lot of the women who had contributed to this cookbook were the older sisters in her ward who had gone through the Depression at some point in their lives.  When Tyler & I were newlyweds & when Aubrey was first born, we had very, VERY little money to spend on groceries.  I saw this recipe & thought I'd give it a shot, seeing how it was so inexpensive to make.  Tyler LOVED this & asks me to make it all the time.  Our kids both love this too.  :)

No comments: