Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fruity Pasta Salad

2 cups mayonnaise
1 tsp. minced garlic (I used 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 to 3 chicken breasts, cooked & diced OR 1 large can well-drained chicken
1 (16-oz.) pkg. tri-colored pasta
2 (15-oz.) cans mandarin oranges, drained (I only used one & for us that was enough)
1/4 lb. sugar snap peas, sliced diagonally
1/2 cup chopped green onions
chow mein noodles (I didn't use these either because I've never liked these things)

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, celery seed, honey, salt and pepper together.  Cover and place in the refrigerator.  Cook the chicken in a pan, then dice and place in a large bowl.  While the chicken is cooking, cook the pasta, then drain and add to chicken.  Add the mandarin oranges, sugar snap peas, green onions, and mayonnaise sauce to the bowl.  Gently mix together until everything is covered with the sauce.  Refrigerate for one hour before serving.  Top with chow mein noodles.  Serves 12.

Just as a heads-up, this is one of the least kid-friendly recipes I've tried lately.  I made this for dinner one night last week & my kids both said they hated it, and even Tyler said it was just OK.  But I thought it was really great.  The next time I make this I'll most likely take it to a family or ward get-together so that more adults can try it.  :)  I got this recipe from a book by Josi S. Kilpack called Key Lime Pie.  I've been loving her culinary mystery series, not just because they're fun to read but because of all the recipes she includes in each novel.

2 comments:

Elena said...

I made this at home for myself for lunches and don't know what I did wrong. It was not good at all! Yours was so much thicker and tastier and mine ended up runny or something! I even watched you make it. I am wondering if the brand of noodles you used is better?

Tyler and Julia said...

Hmmm; what type of noodles did you use? I always use the Ronzoni Garden Delight rotini. You can get it at Smith's & it supposedly has a full serving of vegetables per 4-oz. portion. I also have to microwave my honey before I mix it in w/ the mayonnaise since it's hardened up so much in my pantry. I don't know if this is what I've done differently, but I definitely wouldn't recommend microwaving your honey if it still looks like the normal consistency. Call me if you have any other questions! I hope you can get this to work out!