Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Smashed Potato Soup

1/2 cup coarsely-chopped carrot
1/2 cup coarsely-chopped celery
3 cups hot mashed potatoes (homemade or instant, but for us they tasted MUCH better with real!)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1 garlic clove, pressed (I used 1/4 tsp. garlic powder because it's easier, faster & cleaner) :)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tblsp. fresh parsley (I didn't use this)
Optional toppings:  green onions, cooked chopped bacon, cheddar cheese

Place mashed potatoes in a 3-quart saucepan.  Gradually add broth and milk, whisking until smooth.  Stir in carrot, celery, garlic, salt & pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  I had to stir constantly so that the soup wouldn't "pop" & make huge splashes all over the place.  Remove from heat and stir in sour cream & parsley.  Put into bowls and top with desired toppings.

Here's another recipe from The Recipe Society.  One of the things I hate most is when I buy a bag of potatoes & then most of them end up going bad because I can't get to them in time.  This is a great way to use up extra potatoes & for me it's great comfort food whenever it's cold outside.  Both of our kids loved this too.  Serve it with some homemade garlic bread, or garlic cheese rolls & dinner's done!  :D

No comments: