1 tube refrigerated biscuits (I always buy the buttermilk ones)
1 lb. lean ground sage sausage
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. basil (add more, if desired)
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 to 4 cups water
salt & pepper to taste
Brown sausage, breaking up into clumps as it cooks; do not drain. Sprinkle flour and basil over the sausage & cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add evaporated milk and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat, stirring until desired consistency is reached, adding more water as needed. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve over hot biscuits.
Most of you know that I'm a die-hard bookworm. I just finished a book by Josi S. Kilpack called Key Lime Pie. If any of you have ever read her culinary mysteries with Sadie Hoffmiller as the main character, you'll know that there are a lot of recipes in each novel. This one was inside Key Lime Pie & it was really tasty. I've been looking for a good homemade sausage 'n biscuits recipe ever since Tyler & I have been married. He told me that while he was on mission, he & one of his companions tried to make their own sausage gravy from scratch one day for breakfast. There was no recipe involved whatsoever; they just threw stuff into a skillet & kept adding more and more cornstarch until it was thick enough. Needless to say, I was pretty grossed out, and of course, Tyler said the finished product was a disaster. So, when I made this for dinner the other night (we eat breakfast for dinner a lot in our house), I asked Tyler if this was better than the gravy he had made that day. When he said yes without hesitation, I knew this recipe was a keeper. :D

No comments:
Post a Comment